GDPR is a set of new data protection laws. It has relevance to our use of contact forms at SriChinmoyCentre.org, SriChinmoyRaces.org and meditation sites. It mostly applies to European countries, but aspects of the law are considered ‘best practice’ and still useful for countries outside Europe.
What do I have to do?
There are two areas of each site you are responsible for that need to be looked at
- Contact forms: General info • Centre & Races • Meditation sites
Basic Principles of GDPR
- Any data kept must be used fairly (we must have consent from individuals for the use). It should be used for ‘proper purposes’, must be relevant, must be accurate, we shouldn’t keep it beyond the time it is needed, and it should be kept securely.
- Individuals have the right: To be informed of how their data will be used, to have access to their data if they ask, should be able to correct inaccuracies and have it deleted if they ask, and they can object to the usage of data e.g. marketing.
- For English language meditation sites, we have a policy here that you can link to http://vasudevaserver.org/privacy-policy-meditation-sites. Again, non-English users will need to translate to their language and add it directly to their site.
- Centres are also free to create a new modified policy that suits their needs, as long as it doesn’t obviously contradict the default policy (eg things like cookies, deletion of data etc)
Changing footer link – Centre
Changing footer link – Races
- Choose Domain settings in the top grey tab
- Choose the Footer – popular links tab
- Add link
Changing footer link – Meditation sites
The link can be added in a footer widget – more on editing widgets
Modifying contact forms
- After May 25, any entry on contact forms older than 6 months will be automatically deleted from our servers.
- Each form needs to inform the visitor how their contact information will be used.
Note that the law is not yet 100% clear on this, and may be interpreted differently in different places – some countries may feel that they need to add a ‘required’ checkbox that the user has to tick before they can press the submit button.
Modifying contact form – Centre and Races
To edit the form, press webform
You will get a list of webform fields. Choose the very last one – in this case, ‘Optional message’ and press edit.
Add the text in the description field
Modifying Contact form in meditation sites
- Edit Form: Go to ‘Forms’ and press the edit button for your contact form
2. Select the arrow for the ‘Optional Message’ field to open up options for that field